Monday, February 2, 2009

Baked Beans

I loosely followed this recipe over the weekend, with 5 pieces of bacon omitting the salt pork, and prepared mustard instead of powder (a somewhat random quantity). I also put in a bit less ketchup. Cooking them far longer than suggested helps with the texture of the beans. However, I was bit short on soaking the beans. To anyone who hasn't used dry beans before, reading up on phytohaemagglutinin is a good idea.

I normally avoid Emeril's recipes as the seem to be untested or just not that good. This is an exception. Even if you don't know how to cook, this will probably turn out decent. Just be sure to cook the bacon until it is reasonably crispy. Once the onion and celery was added to the bacon, I knew it would be delicious. It takes what you expect to be a forgetable side, to the status of something that could be eaten as a meal.

No comments: